Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A glimpse

Day 49...

Had lunch today with a colleague of many years - she explained that it was like to be here America decided to live out Chinua Achebe's motif "Things Fall Apart". When the US economy was on the skids and close to shambles, she said it was a palpable sense of fear that was afoot in Charlotte and the US in general. It sounded almost eerie.

This colleague is from India. So, she experienced these things in my country while I experienced life in her country.

Interesting...

My friends Chris said every day was filled with shocking news about foreclosures and giant companies going bust - again, eerie.

I am sort of glad I missed it.

Tara had a funny thing happen today - she was carded when out buying a bottle of wine. To a woman over 40, that is a unique thrill. And one, frankly, that is long behind me, personally. It must be the grey hair.

Anyway, so when she gave her ID to the young girl at the register, the young lady blurted out, "Oh my God, you were born the same year as my mom!" Tara wasn't sure if she should be pleased or mortified. I think she was a bit of both.