Sunday, December 28, 2008

Dubai

One impression of Dubai that continues to ring through my mind.....

It seems like a place that runs entirely on the Starbucks business model.

Meaning, it is on the high end of things and pretty expensive - even "really nice", but without a great deal of real substance underneath it. That is not a negative statement, more of a reflection of what we have seen thus far.

And there are many Starbucks here.

There are various faux boulders along the side of the roads here, I have decided to call them "fauxlders". They are used to support small waterfalls (in the middle of this desert we are in) and there is an inordinate use of marigolds around the base of these same fauxlders. I believe that I have expressed that I don't have a great affection for this flower. It seems to dominate the landscaping that is done here.

Also, there are various neighborhoods built right up to the edge of the highways. That is not nice for either the homeowners or the drivers, yet I have not found that to be enough to prohibit that kind of development here in Dubai.

Admittedly, we have seen very little of Dubai, as we spent the day at Wild Wadi, a sprawling water park that we enjoyed very much. We then had dinner out at a sidewalk cafe that was a nice environment with excellent food. Could not have dreamed up a better meal.

Singapore is described as a place you can get your big toe wet with Asia without really diving in. I think Dubai must be like that with the Arabian Peninsula. We like to think of ourselves as a "dive in" family, but the Arabian Peninsula these days for Americans is probably not a very good "dive in" zone, so this is ok for us right now. This is especially true as the headlines in all of the UAE newspapers and local news is showing Israel decimating Gaza, with reports of the US almost applauding Israeli's attack..... so, if anyone asks, we are from Toronto today.

I write to you from a hooka bar in the basement of our hotel, everyone else is wisely getting sleep. I'll join them as soon as I enjoy this mint tobacco. There are guys playing poker at a table next to me that yell "Allahu Akbar" (god is great) when they get a good hand. So, that is grounds for some theological ponderings, but I am too tired.



^ The day started with a two hour wait for our room. Liam says it all - we were spent and unsure of what day it was.



^ Dubai has some of the least inspiring currency I have ever seen. As I have spent my life passing George Washington, Abe Lincoln or Mohandas Gandhi, it's a bit of a let down to have to peddle these things. Look at this bill. It shows a building with an empty road and a few street lights. It cries out - "We're not done yet and proud of it!"



^ 7Up in Arabic.

You know, I think we are a bit out of the norm as Americans, but I can say that we have a typically American exposure to the Arabic world - meaning, very little. I am frankly not sure I have heard much Arabic language in my life. Sure, I have heard it before, but not very much. It's been hitting the ear in interesting ways all day here in Dubai. It's a bit of a harsh language with strong stops in the middle of words. It seems that "Allah" figures into every other sentence. The script is beautiful. You read it from the right to the left, like Hebrew. I think they might speak from right to left, as well. ;-)



^ Dinner rocked. It's a great diet in this neck of the woods. You can see that they brought a big plate of plain lettuce, whole tomatoes, and fresh herbs along with the food. It was a nice bland addition to the heady and garlic-laden treats we enjoyed. Perfect.



^ Jonah in front of a waterfall at the water park. I had gone down on one knee when his back was turned, and he could not see me even though I was in front of him. Great picture.



^ The old and the new intersect here, with a common denominator of affluence.



^ Wild Wadi. If my reading throughout my life has taught me any Arabic, I think a wadi is a well. Thank you, James Mitchener.



^ A really high slide that we went down today. Great fun.

_____________________

Of interest is that we met three Hyderabadis at different points during today, as I sought to engage various Indians in conversational Hindi. Small world. And my Hindi is getting pretty darn good, if I do say so myself (it's all about reclaiming my dignity after the "child-like" comment in The Hindu).

Also - I have empirically validated that Urdu is essentially the same as Hindi. Two taxi drivers today were Pakinstanis and we had great conversation with virtually no gaps. One of them imparted that the attack on Mumbai was not a Pakistan thing, but rather "politics". That perspective continue to drive me bonkers.

Next stop - Hyderabad and back to work.

Over and out.