Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Interesting question

An interesting question was asked of me by a colleague. He asked me what I had found difficult about India.

Now, I have a series of answers, of course. Some of them are pretty grave and require an in-depth explanation. As I was eating a nice dinner with a small group of people, I thought I'd steer clear of the real issues. And the guy who asked me was Indian, so I made sure I did not put him in an awkward position with my answer while he was at a table full of Americans. So I went right into the one thing that perhaps is the worse part about India (not really, but it still stinks).

My answer - no one obeys the line. They break the queue, to use Anglo-Indian speak.

Every person in India seems to cut in line. It's not just a small issue, it's a real issue that is absolutely infuriating. From the youngest age, we Americans enforce the line rules by yelling "He cut!!!" whenever a violation of the line happens. Additionally, it is a huge honor to be granted "frontsies" by someone in a line. So, the line is a big deal from the youngest age onward. This is actually an excellent aspect of American life. People generally will stand behind each other if required.

As examples of this issue.....

I am on a Kingfisher airplane, waiting for a rest room at the back of a plane. Small kid of about 8 walks right past me and stands in front of me. I stood there stunned, but I wasn't comfortable talking to someone else's child at the back of a plane, so I let it pass. The woman walks out of the rest room, kid walks in. Completely oblivious that he had done anything wrong.

Another time I am in line at the grocery store. A woman behind me gets out of line and stands behind the register trying to buy her one item while I was checking out. Then the guy behind her stands next to her and tries to buy his item. Then a third guy gets in *the other check out line* next to the one where I am and leans over to my cashier, trying to buy his one item. Picture it, there's me at the register buying my items and three other people waving rupees at my cashier, trying to get his attention and buy their items. While I was checking out mind you.

Then one time I was at the airport, standing at the counter buying a chai. An old man wedges himself in front of me. There was like six inches of space between me and the counter, yet somehow he gets in front of me. I said something, he pretended he did not hear me.

Worst time ever was at a coffee stand, again at the airport. There were about one dozen people standing at the counter next to each other (no line at all) holding rupee notes up and waving them at the single guy pouring coffee. I had a late flight to catch and had some time to burn, so I decided to see how long it would take for me to get a cup of coffee, as I refused to participate in the melee. It was about ten solid minutes before he even looked at me. Everyone that got a cup through their horrid system had arrived after me.


It's even hard to depict in writing, because there is nothing that prepares you for the fact that Indians don't obey the rules of standing in line. And it is well known by all expats and everyone who visits India.

So, there was my answer - people breaking the queue.


From a blog, it mentions this issue....

___________________________________________

The Check-in at Delhi: Nightmare is the word to describe it. I was dog tired, coming straight from work (after teaching 18 year olds!) and the Air Sahara counters were overflowing with people. And overflowing people mean chaos and frequent attempts to break the queue (we Indians just can’t stand in a queue!). Sesha and I stood in different lines, maximizing our chances that at least one line may move. Both moved at a snail’s pace and I asked at least three people (politely) not to break the queue (and got ugly glances in return but I can live with it). A few people (and one well dressed young girl, actually she started that unofficial line) tried directly to go to the back of the counter to bypass the queue but thankfully she (and everyone else) was told to join us mortals for the check-in. My line moved faster and Sesha got out of his. But when I handed the lady our tickets and photo identity cards, she started talking to her colleague and complained loudly about her supervisor not giving any attention to the legitimate demands and got out of her seat! Not very confidence inspiring .............