Monday, February 4, 2008

At Work



As I always say, I don't say a great deal about work in the blog. But there is a phenomenon that I have noticed that I must mention. It is pretty pervasive, and I have seen it for several years. But now I am living it, so it is impacting me a bit more directly - and getting to me a bit.

Today I was giving a presentation to a group of about eight associates. I was teaching them about some metrics that are used by the leadership back onshore and giving them an overview of how the data is gathered, what it means, why it matters - all for their enrichment. A very relaxed situation. I was simply looking to build some knowledge and depth over here on what happens back in the US - in other words, doing my job.

Here's the rub.

I asked various times the standard questions - "Is everyone clear?" "Any questions?" "Did that make sense?" "May I go on?" At each question, you expect a response. Something. A smile, a nod, a..... word. Anything. Yet they did nothing. At one point I said, "Guys, silence does not suffice as a yes. I need you to speak."

Eventually, they started to speak. Even a few offered questions and input, illustrating that they knew what was going on and they were learning something. But it took me getting testy a bit for that to happen. Additionally, a colleague was with me in the room who has lived in the US for many years - and he kept coaxing them to talk, telling them there was nothing to be afraid of.

I mention this to other colleagues who have lived outside of India, and they say it is a big problem they have heard of before.

It makes you wonder how children are treated in the schools here. Basically, a learning situation here, and even back onshore for folks from India, can often feel like it is a relatively intimidating event for these young folks.

Just an observation.....