Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday, Sept 11

Day 72...

Well, 8 years later there is not much sign of Sept 11 being a day set apart. A few things here and there, but less focus on it than years past. I guess last time we were here for it was the 5th anniversary, so much more going on. Today seemed just like another day.

Some things from the day...



^ We more or less have finished the den. Tara bought huge couches. They're ok, she likes them better than I do. I probably won't warm up to them fully until I nap on them. And Tara says they need pillows.



^ New kitchen chairs. The Shaker chairs are gone.



^ Here's the view from my desk. Window seat, nice....



^ So, I started to hear the punding of a band from my desk. Hmmmm.



^ I went down to see what was going on - it appears Charlotte is having its "Blue, Bews and Barbecue" Festival. You won't get that just anywhere. If you want insight into what it is all about, check out the sign on the right of this snap - "Outlaw Barbecue Shack - So Good It Oughtta Be ILLEGAL".



^ I will admit I enjoyed the band when they started playing the Allman Brothers. And it's amazing how every person in the crowd - old, young, black, white, white collar, blue collar - got energized by the Allman Brothers tune. I liked that.



^ Vegetable and fruit vendor.



^ Before going back to work, went to a park to see if anyone had placed 3,000 small flags in the ground - a rememberance of those who died in the WTC on Sept 11. This was a bit of a normal routine on 9/11 in years past.



^ Nothing.