Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A day at the zoo.....



...in Bali is pretty cool. But it's not what I was expecting.

I went to great lengths over the last few days to ask Yamaan (driver) if we were going to a forest area to see orangutans. He said yes.

There are no orangutans in the wild on Bali, so I thought it would be some sort of preserve.... and I thought the guide might make some noise as we walked down a forested path and the orangs would peer from behind trees and gently approach us.

It was all set in my head that we were going to have a National Geographic moment.

Well, it was the zoo.

Anyway, we did have the orangutan sit in the middle of the family and got some good snaps of it in our midst. But it was still at the zoo. But it was an excellent place with all of the trappings of a world-class zoo - where we took a ride via tram through the animals' domains.



Who am I to feel disappointed about that zoo thing? Check it out, Tara and I had a masseuse come to the villa this morning and we both got an hour long Balinese massage. Nice. Feels awesome.

Overall, this trip has exceeded expectations. We will definitely count this as an amazing experience.

The setting is hard to explain. It has some attributes of India, yet it feels like we've gone into more of the proper "Asian" area - for example, I have more than once seen the guys in rattan hats herding a group of ducks through a rice paddy. Never seen that before, not even in India.

Our pictures are awesome, the good stuff comes next week.