Friday, June 26, 2009

Last full day


Tara has been my joy in India, as she has been for nearly the last 20 years. She has a unique perspective, really knows how to enjoy herself and is often the source of funny stories. In her honor, here is a funny story from today itself.

Background - we often have our bills brought to us. Airtel is our mobile phone provider. So, Airtel called us and asked where they could bring our bill. Here's the conversation....

Disclaimer - some of the terseness and different phrasing is just how a conversation happens here.

********

Phone rings

Tara: Hello?

Airtel rep: Hello?

Tara: Yes, hello.

Airtel rep: Yes, ma'am, this is Airtel....

Tara: Ok, just tell me.

Airtel rep: Ma'am, your bill is due. When can you pay it?

Tara: Will you bring me the bill?

Airtel rep: Hello?

Tara: Yes. Listen, I am asking a question - will... you... bring... me... the... bill?

Airtel rep: Hello? Yes. Where do you live?

Tara: You have been bringing me my bill for the.... never mind. We have shifted to the Novotel Hotel.

Airtel rep: Hello?

Tara: Yes, hello?

Airtel rep: Yes, tell me.

Tara: We have shifted to the Novotel Hotel.

Airtel rep: [pause] Hello?

Tara: Listen. We... have shifted..... to the.... No..vo..tel... Hotel. Novotel, do you know it?

Airtel rep: Hello? Ok, tell me.

Tara: Novotel.... do you know it... Hotel?

Airtel rep: Ok, I have it.

Tara: Will you bring the bill?

Airtel rep: Yes. Hello?

Tara: Ok, bring it. Tell me the address.

Airtel rep: Novotel Doyoonoeit Hotel.

Tara: Say it again?

Airtel rep: Novotel Doyoonoeit Hotel.

Tara: [laughing] Ok, yes. Thanks.

Airtel rep: Ok, ma'am. [click]

********

And that, my friends, is the last - and one of the best - Tara story from here in India.