Monday, March 23, 2009

Ghajini



I have recently noticed in myself the tendency to have the "hundred days to go" thing guide various of my actions.

As an example, I recently bought three more Hindi videos on DVD so that I can keep my Hindi up when back in the US. Two of them are typical light and mindless Hindi movies (Dil Chatha Hai and Bhool Bhulaiya).

But the third is a very different movie. It is Ghajini with (and by) Aamir Khan. He is definitely my favorite actor in Bollywood, as I was absolutely amazed by Taare Zameen Per, which he wrote, directed and starred in.

In Ghajini, Aamir Khan is fit like never before, a veritable monster. I read he achieved this in 125 individual work out sessions.

He continues to amaze.

Like many Hindi movies, they are copies of western movies. Ghajini was a remake of Momento, wherein a man with short term memory loss is looking to have vengeance on his wife's killers through keeping notes on his body that provide clues to who the murders were.

It's the same movie. But Ghajini has music videos and other things which only a Bollywood film would contain. Think of it, a murder mystery with three dance scenes! Well, this is that movie.

One note about the film was the level of violence. It is absolutely brutal.... and I was raised in America, so I should be able to take it. But it is really, really bloody. Most Hindi movies have some violence, but there is always some general nod toward Gandhi-ism in that the final moment. Most often, there is a reconciliation, forgiveness of the culprit or some such sentiment.

Not in this movie.

Without ruining it for you - there is substantial blood in the final scene.

If you are following the blog from here in India - see Ghajini.

If you are back in the US and curious to see an atypical Hindi movie, see Ghajini.

Overall, consider it highly recommended.