Sunday, March 15, 2009

Leisurely Sunday Walk

OK, so I needed to go for a walk today. And I was crystal clear on the destination. There is a mandir up in the hills above our neighborhood. I have always been curious about how to get there....



^ I saw my destination as I walked out of Whisper Valley.



^ I eventually found a pathway I thought may lead to it.



^ I found this house up on the boulders - all alone and with one of the best views ever.



^ A view from out on the boulders. At this point I had lost the view of the mandir.



^ More view.



^ This was a great view. Notice the Shahi Tombs and Golconda Fort (on the hill). Bad day for pollution, but still a great view.

 

^ I then had to walk down a boulder of immense proportions.  I couldn't see the mandir, still.

 

^ Then it came into view.





 ^ Some symbol.  I am not versed in this kind of thing, but when I looked at this boulder I thought "Brahmin symbol".




 ^ The small temple was built into the whitewashed boulders.  This was the first door I found.... locked.


 ^ The second door was locked, too.  But I could look inside.

 
 ^ Inside the mandir.


 ^ The object of worship, I guess.


 ^ Burnt offerings.


 ^ An altar outside.  


 ^ In the little altar in front of this altar.... some fruits and colored powder.


 ^ Mango leaves have a special role in Hindu temples.  They are often hung in garlands.


 ^ I left the temple glad I had made the hike.


 ^ Made it to the bottom.


 ^ Found some graves.  This one reminded me of the Partridge Family's bus.

 ^ The I made it out to the road.  Our friend Andrea was mountain biking around and I talked to her for a bit.  She informed me that the road I was departing on was actually the entrance road.  All of that hiking was for no reason... still, a really good hike.