Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Chennai

Yesterday's Chennai trip was interesting. I could not take any pictures in the US Consulate, so this entry is about everything else.....



Here's a shot from within Hyderabad's sparkling new airport, featured in an earlier blog entry.



Chennai street, kind of a normal sight of an Indian street.



I know this is kind of gross, but if we have to live with it, you have to see it at least once. Look at the size of this dessicated mongoose. I put my foot down for comparison.



This was funny. A police booth that used to have a solar panel on the top (I saw various of these in different state of disrepair throughout Chennai). It has since been ripped off, and the window is propped open with a stick. Notice the words on the side, "Let us solar power the nation."



I ducked out to do several hours worth of work at the Coromandel Hotel. Nice place.




As I ate my lunch, I realized how much the common three colors of chutney are like the Indian flag. Tomato, Coconut and Mint. Is it intentional?




I took a quick side trip to Santhome Church where Saint Thomas is buried. It is one of three churches built over a body of an original apostle, the first and second being The Vatican (Peter) and some place in Spain (James). Notice the people praying to the plastic replica of Thomas, as if it emanates some special power that wasn't available to them upstairs, or out on the street.





At the Chennai airport, I had hours to burn, spent working via BB. This fish was in a display tank. The picture does not convey its beauty. It was really great.