Saturday, October 13, 2007

Work



I don't say a great deal about work here. This is because the bank is probably somewhat sensitive about how it is depicted and the like.... So, largely, mum's the word.

With that said, I had a funny experience the other day. Every once in a while I go for a walk around HITEC (Hyderabad Information Technology Engineering Consultancy City). I see the signs for Accenture, IBM, Motorola, Oracle, and a variety of other major names. There are also local names like Satyam and Nipuna.

So, the other day I was walking and saw some stairs. They walked up onto a garden area. I walked through the garden area. And out onto the main street outside of HITEC.

Now this may seem unspectacular, but consider that to get to my office I drive through two areas where guards stop the car and check my ID, and on days they are feeling the need, they check the trunk. It gives a feeling of intense security. In light of the terrorism that has happened here, that is a comfort.

But I found a nicely manicured way to get in and out of HITEC without a single person noticing or asking any questions. Remember, I don't blend in, I am a white giant over here. Everyone stares. Here in this garden, though, no eyes on me at all.

In India, there is always an exception. There is always a way.

I just hope no one with ill intent ever comes through that opening.

Yes, I got back into the HITEC area through the same fashion. I turned around because a group of water buffaloes was walking out on the street where I arrived, and I have yet to walk very close to them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We had a great day at the pool. I have started up a small running club out at ICRISAT and we had a good run this morning. A couple from Seattle joined us. This place is filled with people who have been here as long as we have.

Liam went to a buddy's house, Aidan had two friends over, and Jonah hung around with them.

Indian kids from out on the street came and joined the fun with Aidan and friends (they played rugby), but Mrs. Goel sent Nandu out and ushered every Indian kid off the property. She is the landlady. They are the children of domestic workers, in some cases.

Hierarchy is everything here. I felt bad for the kids.