Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor Day



I have the day off, and I am sending it in interesting ways. I am in an internet cafe right now (connection *still* not working at home) catching up on our former life back in the US. I am glad to hear from you, those of you who have written!

Here's a few lessons:

When someone wants to show respect in India, they touch your feet. This can be very disconcerting when it is an old woman who decides to grab your shoe when you're leaving a rickshaw.

A person who looks like we do can never blend into a crowd here. We will never again be invisible out for a brief jaunt. Everywhere we go, there are eyes on us. Tara has fun with it. She says that when you look at an Indian man staring at you, they divert their gaze (true with me and the boys, as well) but when you look away, they look right back. She has fun catching them in this second glance with a quick turn of her head. It's almost like she has given them a glancing blow.

People here are authentically gentle, I have had not a single aggressive act since arrival. Even in the heaviest traffic, where an average American would be livid, it's all calm stares from everyone. Almost like they're hearing some music that we cannot hear.

Sometimes you can eat things that turn your stomach into a veritable ball of fire. What in the world was that I ate last night?

Finally, the younger the child, the more easily they adapt. It's amazing, I am not sure Aidan and Jonah even know they are in a different land. Actually, India does have a way of reminding you that you're not in America.... often. I take that back, they know we're not in Kansas, but they are totally cool with it.

Pakistan is the devil in the eyes of most people here.

I have probably learned a great deal more, but this is what comes to mind right now.

Hopefully everyone can hear from Tara and the boys soon, it's just that no one else can type a blog entry yet due to the intenet situation! I'll have to fix that.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all. :: Helen Keller