Saturday, August 2, 2008

London

We let Aidan and Jonah take the pictures all day yesterday. It was fun and the results are evident.

You will see Trafalger Square, Big Ben, Parliament, and various other sights.

The trip has been amazing. When we arrived at the hotel, I asked Tara what word she thought would describe London. She said, "dingy". I said I agreed, and my word was "drab". But that is apparently mostly between the airport and our hotel in Kensington. Brick row houses with those little multiple chimney type things, and television aerials everywhere (have not seen that in a while!).

But as the day progressed, we were blown away. What an amazing city. Definitely a fantastic place, we're very glad we came here.


Byl: For me the best part of London was the grave of George Friederich Handel in Westminster Abbey. I have been a big fan of Handel ever since my high school choir exposed me to The Messiah. I have those pieces on my laptop and iPod, as well as Music for Royal Fireworks and the famed Water Music. Handel played The Messiah for the first time outside of a debtors prison, I really love that fact.

He was talented and intense, and it was moving being at his resting place.

Tara: I loved Westminster Abbey, and walking through Hyde Park and feeling a chill in the air.

Liam: Tower of London was cool.

Aidan: I liked the changing of the guards at the Tower of London and the soldier museum (Royal Fusiliers).

Jonah: Nothing (asked again, 'come on, really...'). I said "nothing"! Are you writing on your computer? Please don't do that.