Monday, January 21, 2008

The encampment



It's Byl, I'm back. My love has a million things going on and cannot focus on the blog right now. She received very positive feedback on her updates, so we'll do it again, soon!

I was at the bus stop the other day and decided to get a bit closer to the encampment that I have written about before. It's at the end of our street. I have developed a much deeper understanding of what it is - it is a group of workers who work in the neighborhood and surrounding streets. They do not live her on a permamnent basis, but rather have homes outside of the city and come here to do work and send money home. It is akin to Mexicans coming to the US, but on a much more local scale. These people are from Andhra Pradesh itself.

So as not to appear too intrusive, I had to pretend I was taking pictures of surrounding trees, houses, etc. Then I quickly shot over to the stone wall which surrounds this camp and took this snapshot.

Quite amazing. Click on it for the larger version.

There is something unseemly about gawking at the living conditions of others, but it truly was interesting to get this closer look.

Contrast that to Mr. Agrawal's house, just two doors down from the encampment.





Or a few houses further down.



It does tend to make the debate inside of America about "the widening gap between rich and poor" look a bit different, at least to me.