Monday, May 5, 2008

What are we reading?



To avoid the perception, based upon yesterday's entry, that we don't read, let me update you. We are reading a decent amount, and Tara has read the most. She is part of a book club that reads all of the latest things from the US market. My Sister's Keeper, A Thousand Splendid Suns, etc. They have worked their way through an amazing number of books, which is great because it rounds out her other woman-activities - Scrabble clatch, lunch group, out to dinner group, etc. She and these other women, the life they live..... but that is a different blog entry.

;-)




Liam has been reading a great deal. He has drawn various books into his room and hoards them. We think he reads about half of them. He recently finished The Kite Runner, which Tara read, as well. It's nice to have him reading things at our level.

For the record, he has also taught himself to write in Cyrillic and Hindi. And since I am learning Hindi reading and writing, I can tell you that he is actually gifted in this area. He has an amazing grasp on alphabets and is self-taught. He knows far more than I do about the Hindi alphabet.



I have been reading various books, but slowed down lately due to work. I am taking occasional stabs at a tome entitled Diamonds, Gold and War: The Making of South Africa. It's really good, pure history.



One thing we have found is that Tara and I share a lack of appreciation for Thomas Friedman's The World is Flat. Her gyno book club read it and they all thought it was thoughtful-if-not-brilliant, but Tara shared my sentiments. She called it "ridiculous" and wondered why anyone liked it. I didn't bias her, but I was interested to notice we are uncommon (to the populous) yet common (to each other) in our ideas on Friedman. The secret I am keeping from her is that his other books are even a bit more lame.

I keep my books out on our patio, and within 24 hours they are grimy. Pollution....