Friday, August 17, 2007

The Help....

We're in our home now. It's like a whole new journey. The hotel takes care of so many things, it's frankly easy to live in that setting, but this is a whole different deal.

We have people who live on the property with us. Not Mr. And Mrs. Goel, I don't mean them. They are a politician and his wife who live on the third floor and own the place. I am talking about the help. There are numerous people who live here in different capacities. Some are security, some are cleaners, some lift things, and some do.... well, I am not sure what they do. But they live in different sections of the dwelling that is next to the driveway. There is some sort of catacomb-like dwelling down there that has rooms. It's really..... different. Actually, let me say it - it's wierd.

There is a couple from rural Andhra Pradesh named Chandramohli ("Mohli" for short) and Padma. They are our help, 100% dedicated to us. They have a daughter who appears to live on the property, as well. And they have a daughter being raised by grandparents in their home village out in the country. I smile at Mohli often (I know enough not to smile at women here) and thank him in Hindi. I want him to know that I don't think of him as a lesser being. But, he has probably been told his whole life that he is lesser.

Suffice it to say that there is a very different configuration here in terms of how life is arranged, and the lessons have begun for us. We will surely learn a great deal while we are here.